home300about300contact300

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why I Love Jen.

I've blogged about Jen before, you can read some of those posts here


Today is Jennifer Bodin's 25th Birthday.
I thought I should maybe wait for another day to describe what she means to me, because how cliche to write about her greatness on the day she was born?!

But she's worth it.

Plus, I finally receive an image we had taken months ago by the amazing Norman photographer, Keisha Register. Since I got it today, I couldn't develop, frame, and mail it to her by today, so this is the next best thing. 

This is a part of the Wallpaper Series, and you can find out more about what this amazing project means here
When I moved to Oklahoma, I didn't take my comfort zone with me. I started fresh, which was the best decision I've ever made. It's a personal decision, but I'm very glad I made this choice.

Because I didn't have my friends from childhood, I was a nobody. I had to start from ground zero. I didn't make a pack of friends like I had in high school...I made two distinct friends that stand out to me. One is going to be standing as my matron of honor next month. 

We met in our pilates class. We each were required to take a physical education elective, and I'm glad for a multitude of reasons that we each were in that class. First of all, I realized pilates is one heck of a good work out. I should really pick that back up. But most importantly, I realized there was a free-spirited, yet grounded, humble, loving, caring, nurturing spirit in that class. Her name was Jen, but she was far greater than her toned little body. She was a spirit that I connected with instantly. It was after we became friends through pilates we realized we were in the same pledge class...Pi Beta Phi, class of 2009. She was hands down the best outcome of my sorority experience.
One of countless OU games.


One of countless costume-themed date parties with Pi Phi
Another date party-this one was with DU, Jen's husband's fraternity. Fun times all around!
Jen is my runner friend. I can't tell you how many marathons she's run. 5Ks, Half Marathons, whatever...she's done it all. Triathlons, even! Seriously!  As evidenced by those killer abs in the photo above....!
She has dedication and drive like no other.  She graduated with a 4.0 from OU in 3 years. She's been working and succeeding in her job with Chesapeake, and also obtained her real estate license. She's passionate, driven, and hard-working. In short, she has her stuff together! Yet inside, she's a painter. A yogi. A music lover. A bleeding heart. DOG LOVER. This girl has the perfect balance of hippy with successful business woman. She's one of my inspirations on a daily basis, despite the distance, now that I've moved back home.
Swimming in Barton Springs, Austin, TX
Austin City Limits Music Festival.

I was honored when Jen asked me to be maid of honor in her wedding. I remember hosting her bridal shower at Othello's, her favorite local restaurant in Norman. I remember August 1st like it was yesterday....and she was a beautiful bride.

Jen's beautiful family bridal shower
Gettin' down at her bachelorette party! Coyote Ugly in OKC!!!!
Helping her with her garter

Earrings!
Halo for the Pi Phi Angel! (The best thing I gained from Pi Phi is smiling in the white dress.....)
Giving my honorary Maid of Honor speech!
"And in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take."


Summer 2011 Visit in Norman at my old stomping grounds, the Library Bar and Grille

 Jen was my best friend while I lived in Oklahoma and was long distance with George. Often times now that I've moved back home to Texas, I feel like I'm long distance with Jen. I was good about seeing her almost monthly after I initially moved, and haven't done as well lately. Fortunately, I'll be seeing more of her with my wedding festivities! She is my matron of honor, and will be down here on February 18th for my bridal shower! And of course, on March 24th for my wedding, she will be by my side. Through thick and thin...I know I will always be there for her, and she will always be there for me. I love Jen to the core, for who she is, what she thinks, and how she loves. I do not judge her for her mistakes or shortcomings, and she would never judge me for mine. I love her in a way that only a best friend can love...so often, with our significant others, we try to change them to make them better for ourselves. Or at least, I can catch myself doing that with George (sorry, babe, though I do think I'm improving!). I've never been that way with Jen. We accept the other exactly how we are, with no desire to change a thing. No matter what the future holds, I promise to continue to cherish this friendship, because it is so dear to my heart.

PS, while I was typing this, she called. Just figures. Our souls are still intertwined. Those coincidences happen to us all.the.time.

Dining at one of our local favs, Othello's, in Norman. Despite management changes and bad service, I can't imagine ever giving up on this little place. We've shared many thoughts, opinions, tears, and bottles of wine at this place. Love you, Jen!

2 comments: