home300about300contact300

Monday, May 23, 2011

Turning Off.

George and I are going on a roadtrip mid-June. We are (quite possibly) going to Ruidoso, Carlsbad Caverns, Beaver's Bend, and Marfa, TX. Maybe all of the above, maybe just Marfa. Who knows.

Why Marfa?

I'll explain when we get back. Or if you really want to know, you can call me. Or text me, but I won't respond while I am on the trip!

Which leads me to my next point.

When I drive, I text or Facebook. Yes. On my phone, while I drive. I know. I know. Don't preach, trust me, I know. It's awful. I acknowledge the awful-ness of this statement.

When we embark on our adventure, I am turning off the phone. Chucking it in the backseat. We are going to use a MAP. Not the GPS. 

We are going to TALK, not text. We are not going to get online because the only thing we'll be focusing on will be the new sights we take in, and eachother. 
Ruidoso a few years ago. This was at a Tinker family reunion, but this time we'll be making the trip just the two of us.
They say 21 days of anything creates a habit. I'm going to see if 21 hours of driving can create a habit. If I can go 21 hours of driving without even having my phone within reach...it will jumpstart my goal for when I come home. Of NOT using my phone while I drive.

It all started because of the iPod on my iPhone. I listen to the iPod while I drive, and change songs (on the phone/iPod), and WHILE I have it in my hand, I'll check my Facebook, or text somebody back. Totally unacceptable.

So since we will need some sweet jams on the 20+ hour trek, we are going to make surprise playlists, make it a game, and listen to CDs. Like we used to. And guess what?! The SONG won't be interrupted by a CALL or a chime of a text. LIBERATING, right?!

I'm so excited for this trip. Not to mention the photos...I will be in a state of absolute bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment