home300about300contact300

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Michael Vick and President Obama

This has been a heated controversy in the news this week. I considered making my Facebook status about it, but realized I couldn't sum up my feelings in a status. And if I did, I'd be one of those annoying people with a status you have to scroll to read. Lame. Hence, the blog.



The media is not liberal, much to the far right's dismay. The media is out to make money. The news is often over-exaggerated to gain more viewers. President Obama's involvement in the Michael Vick controversy is minimal, at best. He was talking on the phone with Jeffrey Lurie (owner of the Eagles), commending the team's decision to use alternative energy to power the stadium. This is a commendable act, by the way. Lincoln Financial Field is going to have "hundreds of wind turbines" and "solar panels," (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obama-vick-20101229,0,6835269.story) according to the Los Angeles Times. More stadiums should follow suit. Eagles are going green. So far, so good.

That was the point of the phone call. That was why President Obama even got involved. My first impression last night was, "Doesn't he have more important things to be doing than discussing Michael Vick?!" but now I realize he was commending a green initiative. But don't worry-I'm not a brain washed liberal. BECAUSE he did have to mention Michael Vick. Though it's really not that big of a deal, it will cost him THOUSANDS of animal-lover votes. It was minor, in passing, but he commended Lurie for giving him a second chance in football. Honestly, I think Michael Vick is worthless, weak, and disgusting. The kind of person who abuses animals is the kind of person who abuses defenseless people. But Obama NEVER mentioned Vick getting another dog. The White House statement was, "individuals who have paid for their crimes should have an opportunity to contribute to society again." I'm all for second chances. The football player spent 19 months in prison. I have no problem with him playing football. I have a problem with him thinking for 5 seconds he can own a dog again. On December 15th, on NBC news, Vick stated, "I would love to get a dog in the future." Well, SORRY MICHAEL VICK. Child abusers don't get to adopt children. Child molesters can't even be around children. What in God's name makes you think you are worthy of having a pet?? Forgiveness, I'm all for. And I'm not saying I think judgment on him will solve anything. I just think we have to be CAUTIOUS!!! Ultimately, the victim makes the choice to forgive the abuser. And that great old expression with humans applies, "Not forgiving somebody is like drinking poison, expecting somebody else to die." But the dogs that died, or are permanently disabled, are actually more enlightened than humans. They aren't holding grudges against Michael Vick. They aren't mad. They have, in an unspoken sense, forgiven him. But they are defenseless, and it is up to people to defend them.

Anybody who thinks dog-fighting isn't "that big of a deal," should be informed. These dogs are riled up to fight and literally tear eachothers' faces off. Many are HUNG. It is without a doubt, not a sport, but an abusive act. The following is a picture of one of Michael Vick's dogs. I think it's important to see the actual face of a victim to understand the severity of what he did. WARNING, it's graphic, and absolutely broke my heart. No animal deserves this.



As sad as dog-fighting makes me feel, and as angry with Michael Vick as I have become, I still remain objective regarding his football career. Lisa Lange, a spokeswoman for PETA, stated, "As long as [Vick] is focusing on playing football and not abusing animals, we will focus our attention on those who are being cruel to animals."

In summary, after the recent controversy, I am Pro-Obama, Pro-Green Initiatives, Pro-Second Chances in Careers, Pro-Animal Love. I think it is kind of bad karma to say you're "anti-" anything, so I'll just say I'm not in support of Michael Vick having a dog again. He burned that bridge. Gotta stand up for what you believe in!

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. And shout-out to Teddy-love ya, mean it. I'd NEVER hurt you, Little Man!

1 comment: