home300about300contact300

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cleaning Up A Mess

I would like to start by saying I'M REALLY LUCKY. And very grateful. With that being said....

.....I'm terrified to live with a boy. To live with anybody, really. I had a couple of roommates in college, and when I was a senior, I got my own place. I've lived alone ever since, and DO NOT miss having a roommate! I just love making every decorating decision, and having everything neat and tidy. Occasionally, I'll leave a dish in the sink (SOAKING, of course! Never getting crunchy...), or go a week without sweeping. But that is the rarity, and it is much easier for me to be tolerant of my own mess.

Yesterday, George and I got lunch at Sea Siam.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/13/182129/restaurant/Sea-Siam-Keller
(Great Thai restaurant right by my apartment! $6.95 lunch special includes soup, salad, eggroll, and entree! All VEGAN options, too!!!)
(picture from: http://www.pegasusnews.com/places/sea-siam/)

I was so relieved that he had taken Teddy for a walk and to play ball outside prior to our date. That meant I didn't have to go home and let him out! But when I got home from work, his shock collar wasn't on (and he barked incessantly AT ME walking through the door). The puppy pad wasn't inside. A puddle of pee was on my freshly cleaned floor. An empty McDonalds coke was on the counter, and crumbs. A cereal bowl was crusty in my sink. An Oriental 2011 wall calendar that I had told George to keep because it did NOT match my place, was left on the table. One sock by the bed...one under my desk. I was furious.

I rudely texted him, and told him about the mess he'd left. I told him that I liked my place neat (as if he didn't know) and I didn't appreciate coming home to a pit.

After sipping some wine on my couch, and watching The View (I DVR this show daily, don't hate), I realized something HUGE.

I can clean up a mess. I can clean and sanitize my floors. These are fix-able. If I damage my relationship, how do I repair that? Can you ever really clean up a messy fight? Sometimes, words are said that we always remember. Fortunately, this wasn't one of our biggest brawls. I'd barely even consider it a fight. But I was grateful for that brief moment of clarity in the midst of my racing thoughts. I hope to focus more on that insight in the future.






I know that eventually George and I will be husband and wife. And sadly, we will be roommates. I just hope that I remember along the way that I am fortunate to have somebody like George in my life. He loves and accepts me AND my OCD tendencies. I guess if he can work on cleaning up after himself, and I can work on letting the little things go, we'll be just fine. But if there are any married couples...or co-habitating couples out there...PLEASE give me some advice!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. :) What you said about putting the fight into perspective is so helpful. Somtimes it is really tough to do when youre really annoyed or pissed, but you're so right about not being able to take back hurtful words. Thanks for this little piece of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh girl. As you guys get closer to becoming man & wife, you'll be forced to learn the BIGGEST lessons about marriage. Tolerance & Compromise. I am not perfect. Ryan is not perfect. But we are perfect for each other. Cheesy to the max, but that's what I choose to dwell on. Not the whiskers in the sink (a huge annoyance of mine). And for him, to over look my pile of "needs to be filed". You will adapt, and HE will adapt. It doesn’t mean that you won’t get annoyed from time to time but at the end of the day, you'll sit on the couch together and realize all that matters is that. You & him. Together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging. best robot vacuum for carpet

    ReplyDelete