home300about300contact300

Monday, December 6, 2010

Feeling intuitive about my new change........


Introducing........the Denton Women's Collective!

It started last week. I wanted to watch my boyfriend's show on a livestream online! They were playing at Dan's Silverleaf, but the live stream wasn't working. We have Time-Warner cable at my parents' house, and it wasn't being shown on their channels. Bummer, I thought. I defaulted to the Victoria's Secret fashion show.

After watching the 5'11", 105 lb models with D-cup breasts strut down the runway, I got on Facebook. My friend, Kyle Kaminski, had posted a video link on her FB page that she had seen in class at UNT. See link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qkz0IT7IM
(This is 1 of 4, on the right side you can click to see the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th parts!)

I was inspired by the film. In case you can't watch it right now, it's called "Killing Us Softly 3" and by Jean Kilbourne. She has dedicated years to researching the advertising industry, and the mis-use of women in the media. Models have gotten thinner and thinner, reaching an all-time low. They can't get any thinner now, because if they do, they will die. Several have already died of anorexia. 95% of people with anorexia are women...clearly men do not have the same social pressure of being thin. And it's not just about being thin! EVERY magazine airbrushes EVERY model/actress/singer before being published. SERIOUSLY, YALL, I'M ON THE COVER OF LIVING MAGAZINE THIS MONTH FOR MY WORK. EVEN I WAS AIRBRUSHED.

I also had the unique pleasure of working with an 80 year old woman last week. She is one tough cookie. She started the FIRST women's flight school, and went from being a flight attendant to a pilot herself. She told me when she was a flight attendant, a 5 lb weight gain was reason for automatic dismissal. Yes, things have improved, but with the digital media and airbrushing ability we have today, the subconscious messages have gotten arguably worse for women today.

I was in the Norman Women's Collective in my college days at OU. I loved being a part of an organization that dealt with female issues, and made a positive impact on the young women in our community. It has now become my goal to start a Denton Women's Collective. ALL WOMEN, of ALL AGES, and from ALL GENERATIONS are invited. All colors, sizes, beliefs. On occasion, we will invite men to join in on the discussion. Men need to be informed, too!

It is my vision that the group will include fun activities, like ice-skating, movies, and coffee. I also want to go back to my middle school, high school, and other schools in the Denton/DFW area, and talk to girls. I want to get to the middle-schoolers before the impact of the media does. And I want to talk to high schoolers, because I know it's affecting them now. Funny thing is, when I was in high school, I remember groups coming in to discuss tobacco. I remember "DARE" talking about drugs. But women's self esteem, eating disorders, and depression are all directly impacted by this issue, and 1 in 3 women will suffer from one of the aforementioned conditions. Why is this not being discussed? I want to make a difference, and I want women who care about the FUTURE of our gender to join me!

FIRST MEETING IS THIS WEDNESDAY, Starbucks in Lewisville, on the border of Flower Mound (Main St), at 7:30. Please come. And no, you don't have to be a "feminist" to share your opinion. Just bring with you experiences, and a vision of equality.

 

**Average height of model: 5'10". Average weight: 105 lbs. Average height of American woman: 5'4". Average weight: 135 lbs. **

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???

No comments:

Post a Comment